Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Galloway challenges senators to press charges

George Galloway has told US senators to "charge me" in the wake of fresh allegations that he took money from Saddam Hussein.

The challenge came after the Senate committee investigating the claims warned the MP that he could face prosecution over "false and misleading statements under oath" he allegedly made while giving testimony in Washington five months ago.

Mr Galloway told the Senate committee yesterday: "Please, please charge me, please prosecute me and I will be on the next plane to America to see you in court.

"I am demanding prosecution. I am begging for prosecution. If I have lied under oath in front of the Senate, that's a criminal offence. Charge me and I will ... face them down in court as I faced them down in the Senate room."