Friday, October 28, 2005

Patents Kill

In India, where a flu pandemic will be apocalyptic, pharma geeks are infringing patents in order to survive.

I just got a shot, and I'm all full of nice flu vaccine. Of course, now that flu shots are freely available -- unlike last year, when massive shortages meant I went without one -- it turns out they aren't going to help much. Sure, they'll protect against those crappy old common viruses, but they're not going to do shit against avian flu. And avian flu is the one everybody is predicting will usher in the next scary pandemic.

That's why I tried to order some Tamiflu, an antiviral drug, on the Internet. I wasn't sure whether it was sold to me legally. But imagining that it was on its way gave me the warm feeling of safety I associate with the ebbing of paranoia -- just like when I stockpiled a bunch of water, canned food, and candles for "emergencies." I kept picturing this nightmarish, flu-induced apocalypse in which only the people with Tamiflu survive. Then I found out my Tamiflu wouldn't be coming. Apparently all the gray-market pharmacies are cracking down and asking for legitimate prescriptions. Plus, doctors in Vietnam are reporting that avian flu is becoming resistant to Tamiflu. Relenza, another antiviral, may be our only hope.

So far I've resisted the urge to order pseudolegal doses of Relenza too.

All this is moot in developing nations, where few people have access to flu shots or antivirals, even if they could get prescriptions. Swiss pharmaceutical megacorp Roche owns the patent on Tamiflu and refuses to give it up, which means companies that can't pay hefty licensing fees aren't able to manufacture the stuff. Roche claims it'll be able to stock the entire world with Tamiflu in the event of an emergency. And if you believe that one, I've got some dot-coms to sell you.