Friday, September 23, 2005

Join The Marines - The Few, The Proud, The Psychotic

Editor's Note: Update - September 21, 2005. I'm adding a few lines to these introductory comments for the sake of current military service people or their families or friends who might read this and misconstrue my thoughts as a blanket condemnation of anyone who might be serving in the Marine Corps or any other branch of the US military.

I spent four years in the military as an enlisted man in the early 1960's during the buildup phase of the Vietnam War. Due to the nature of my job, I was often liaisoned with personnel from other branches of the US military and became very familiar with the day to day world of enlisted men, warrant officers, and lower level commissioned officers of Army, Navy, and Air Force. I got along well with people in the military and seriously considered re-upping, but ultimately decided that I wanted to get back into civilian life and explore new things. The camaraderie of military life and the excitement of living in foreign lands are powerful incentives to remain in the military as a career.